Saturday, December 13, 2014

5 DIY Tricks For Every Amazing Dog Owner

I, Kelley Hennessy, am a complete dog lover. I now have four dogs which can be hard to take care of.  Here are five tricks that will make every dog owner's life a little easier. (Click HERE for more tips!)


(Photo Courtesy Of: Alexandra Zaslow)

Two of my dogs are husky, meaning long thick hair that gets everywhere! My mom found that using a squeegee (what you may use for car windows or maybe shower doors) is the best way to get that dog hair out of your carpet. Another thing that helps are damp rubber gloves. The gloves easily pick of the fur right into your hands! Leaving your carpet hair free. When it's my job to clean the carpets, I run a vacuum over everything first to get most of it up, but sometimes there are those tough hairs that are too tough for the vacuum, and that when I get my sister to due the rest with this easy trick.


 (Jake, he was our first dog which I am the closest with, five years old)

My two male dogs are much more hyper and always go crazy when it's time to eat. I notice that they will eat their food without even chewing it, which sometimes causes them to have hiccups or even get sick. When we told the vet about this problem he told us to add a tennis ball with their food to slow them down. The tennis ball makes it harder for dogs to gulf their food down since they have to work their way around the ball. This trick works most of the time until your dogs gets smart and tosses the ball out before eating!

(Naki, she's everyone's favorite and nicest and now acts like a mother to Teak, three years old)

One thing that comes with puppies is accidents. I remember one stain that would not come out with the pet cleaner we were using and when I did some research, I found that pouring dry baking soda straight onto the carpet and letting it sit for a few minutes made the carpet good as new! If use have a puppy, all you need is a thing of baking soda to do the trick.

(Teak, he's our newest to the family and the craziest, he's only ten months old)

My one dog has the worst breath in the world! When I would try to brush her teeth I would have to pin her down just to get the tooth brush in her mouth. Then I thought about putting dog tooth paste on treats to realize shortly after that she was just swallowing the toothpaste. Then my sister came up with the idea of putting the toothpaste on her chew toy and basically having her clean her own teeth! This idea has worked ever since but is something you have to keep up with to maintain a clean dog breath.

(Kea, she's our oldest and strongest, sixteen years old!)

I remember when after we brought our first dog home going to the pet store. I wanted to get him all of these toys but my mom would tell me they were all just too expensive. I noticed my dog would like to take water bottles of the recycling bin to play with. That's when I had the idea of making my own toys. All I did was add some treats to a plastic water bottle and cut little holes around it so he could smell them. I remember him running away with it to a corner and chewing on it for hours!


No comments:

Post a Comment